Helpful Tips for Beautiful Skin
Last Updated: July 10th, 2020
Everyone wants beautiful skin, but not all of us are completely sure how we should go about getting it. Asking for advice from your grandmother, your friends, your sister, or that woman with a flawless complexion you met while standing in line the other day can often be contradicting, if not downright bizarre (how exactly will smearing mayonnaise on our faces help prevent wrinkles and give us beautiful skin, grandma? Honestly). Here, our goal is to separate fact from fiction and give you the best, simplest, and most effective treatments to ensure that you can be proud of your beautiful skin 24/7.
The Best Ingredients in Beautiful Skin Products
For those of us who desire beautiful skin, there are literally thousands of products on the market which promise to cure our blemishes and give us that radiant glow we all want. But not all beautiful skin creams, serums, and moisturizers are created equal. To make sure you are investing in a high-quality product, make sure it has some (or all) of the following ingredients:
- Argan oil - believe it or not, this moisturizing miracle oil isn't just for nourishing dry, brittle hair. The naturally high level of vitamin E which grows in the argan kernels (from which the oil is harvested) and essential fatty acids penetrate dry, parched skin to rejuvenate the collagen structure and add much-needed moisture.
- Vitamin E - if you can't find a beautiful skin cream with argan oil in it, at least get one with vitamin E. This necessary vitamin has been used for decades to hydrate skin and improve firmness.
- Linseed Extract - for facial skin which has seen better days, linseed extract is a must. It contains a natural blend of omega 3 fatty acids, as well as linolenic acid, which is great for restoring softness and structure to damaged skin.
- Resveratrol - a natural component in the skin of red grapes, this antioxidant-rich compound naturally slows the aging process by blocking oxidative chemicals from destroying skin cells
- Vitamin B5 - often labeled as "Panthenol" on the ingredients lists of products designed to help you achieve beautiful skin. This nutrient helps other moisturizing ingredients penetrate your skin more thoroughly. It is also an excellent emollient and humectant.
- Sunscreen - the leading cause of premature aging, especially on your face, is the cellular damage caused by excessive UV exposure. Some botanicals, such as the argan oil mentioned above, naturally protect your beautiful skin from the sun's harmful rays. Other creams and serums have additional ingredients which list their SPF (Sun Protection Factor) right there on the label. An SPF of 25 is a good starting point, but you'll want a higher number if you spend a lot of time out in the sun on a regular basis.
- Carrot Seed Oil - carrot seed oil packs a one-two punch against environmental factors that typically contribute to aging skin. It naturally protects skin cells from UV damage, and contains hydrating elements which are great for soothing chapped areas.
On a similar note, there are some ingredients you'll want to try and avoid while you're shopping around: mineral oil, parabens, and preservatives, to name a few. These synthetic additives can clog your pores, give your face a greasy appearance, and some studies even suggest that some of them (such as parabens) might be carcinogenic.
DIY Home Recipes for Beautiful Skin
If you're the crafty type, you can make a Do It Yourself face cream at home. The recipe below incorporates many of the ingredients suggested above, and is fairly simple to make in the comfort of your own house. Best of all, when you buy and blend your own ingredients, you won't have to worry about exposing your skin to synthetic chemicals. Start by purchasing the following ingredients:
- 3 tbsp of shea butter
- 1/4 cup of cacao butter
- 2/3 fl oz pure 100% argan oil
- 1/3 fl oz carrot seed oil
- Optional: an essential oil of your choice, no more than 3-5 drops
Directions: melt the cacao and shea butters together in a double-boiler until they become liquid, then pour into a blender. Add your argan oil and carrot seed oil to the blender and blend together on a low speed until blended completely. If you have an optional essential oil, like lavender (perfect for a homemade evening cream) or peppermint (for an energizing morning cream), add it in at the same time as the argan and carrot seed oils. Pour the blended mixture into a sterile jar. Store the jar in a cool, dry place; for larger batches, you might want to store it in the fridge so that it will keep longer.