Hair and Argan Oil - a Match Made in Heaven?
Last Updated: July 20th, 2018
Every day it seems there's another argan oil hair care product released, to great fanfare. So what's the big deal about argan oil? And what exactly does it do for your hair?
Argan oil contains vitamin E, antioxidants, unsaturated fats, and natural phenols. There's nothing else in your bathroom quite like it. Let's learn more.
How Argan Oil Benefits Your Hair
Argan oil benefits your hair in three main ways:
- Moisturizes the hair: the chemistry of argan oil so closely mimics the body's natural moisturizers that your hair (and skin and nails!) drinks it right in. The oleic and linoleic fats keep hair healthy and moisturized without leaving a greasy or clumpy feeling.
- Nourishes the hair: argan oil contains vital nutrients including essential fatty acids (EFAs), polyphenols and sterols. These compounds are rapidly absorbed by the hair thanks to argan oil's similarity to your body's own oils. This can help with hair growth.
- Protects hair from damage: the Vitamin E content (along with other naturally-occurring antioxidants) of argan oil protect your hair from free radical damage. Free radicals are highly volatile compounds created by pollution, ultraviolet light, and other environmental hazards.
How to Use Argan Oil for Hair
All right - you're sold on the benefits of argan oil. Or maybe you're just having a really bad hair day. Here's how to use this miracle natural hair care product on your luscious locks.
- Argan oil as a leave-in conditioner: Probably the most popular way to use argan oil on the hair. Remember: even though this is an oil, it will absolutely not weigh down your hair or leave it feeling lank and greasy. Apply a few drops of the oil to your hair while still damp. Finger-comb (or use a wide-toothed comb) through the hair, from roots all the way to the tips. You'll see faster hair growth, stronger and healthier hair, and fewer split ends.
- Argan oil as a deep conditioner: For bedtime. Start with damp hair. Massage a dime-sized portion of argan oil into the scalp and work thoroughly through your hair, root to tip. Then wrap your hair in a warm towel and go to bed. If you're in a hurry, just leave the towel on for 20 minutes. Then shampoo as usual. (Alternately, use argan oil in the shower after shampoo, as you would use a typical conditioner.)
- Styling your hair with argan oil: Frizzies got you down? Whether your hair is simply dry, or totally unmanageable, argan oil can help make styling easy. A few drops on your palm, finger-combed into your hair, add gloss and sheen to your follicles and make styling much easier. Don't use water, or any other styling products, while using this technique.
- Repairing damaged hair: Chemical damage and heat styling take their toll on your gorgeous mane. If your follicles are feeling dry and brittle, use the deep conditioner technique above regularly, two or three times per week, until you see the life you remember. Dull, lifeless hair got you down? Use argan oil as a conditioner every time you wash your hair for glossy, strong, silky hair.
- Argan oil hair mask: With a little research, you can find a variety of make-at-home recipes for healing hair masks using argan oil as a key ingredient. Frequently these recipes also contain egg, honey, milk, and other time-honored hair care ingredients. The addition of other ingredients can help to create a solution tailored for your hair's exact situation and needs.
Yes, argan oil can do all that. Now you know why they call it "liquid gold"!
Is There Anything Argan Oil Can't Do for Your Hair?
Alas, argan oil simply can't do everything for your hair. You will still need shampoo to cleanse your scalp as well as your follicles. If you regularly use chemical treatments like dyes or straighteners, stop! (Just kidding.) But DO lay in a supply of argan oil to help your hair recover from these harsh products.
In addition to its nearly-magical properties for hair care, argan oil really aid the health and beauty of just about your whole body:
- ...you can even eat it! (though cosmetic argan oil isn't toasted, so it tastes different)
Here's the bottom line: if you have hair, you should also have an argan oil hair care product. There's no more useful, healthful, and natural product available at any price anywhere.
If you're excited about argan oil, join the club! Now all you need is a top-rated argan oil product. Learn more.