Choosing the Right Hair Care Product
Last Updated: September 16th, 2019
If you aren't a professional stylist, or if you don't style your own hair that often, you might not be an expert on the litany of hair care product options out there, or what their intended function is. But if you're looking to improve your own personal style, you've come to the right place. Below, we'll run down the basic staples that every woman should have near her bathroom sink when she gets ready in the morning, and how they can take your look from "blah" to "va-va-voom!"
Hair Care Product Rundown
- Gel - hair gel is a necessary hair care product for creating many different versatile looks. It is also one of the few hair care product choices which is universally loved by both men and women who want to achieve just the right style. I can be used to create a spiked look for shorter hair, or a messy (yet frizz-free) look for hair types of any length. Additionally, gel is great for holding carefully crafted looks in place when hair spray just isn't enough, or creating a smooth and slicked-back look that is free of frizz and fly-aways. But fair warning: only use gel after you have finished heat styling. Using a curling or straightening iron on gelled hair could cause burning and severe damage. If you must blow-dry gelled hair, make sure you towel-dry away as much moisture as you can before you apply the gel, and scrunch your hair while operating the blow dryer on a low heat setting for sleek, sexy curls that last all day.
- Mousse - moose is a light, foamy hair product that wants to pump your hair up. In some ways, it is very similar to gel: it has holding power, it helps to define naturally curly hair, and it helps reduce fly-aways and frizz. However, unlike gel, its main superpower is that it can add serious volume and body to your hair. This is true regardless of whether you're going for a straight or curly style. It can also hold as well as most hair sprays. Best of all, it is perfectly safe to style your hair even if it has mousse in it.
- Hair Spray - hair spray is a fairly simple, yet essential, styling product. It helps to hold your style in place after you are done curling or straightening it, and is especially useful for keeping that perfect up-do in place. Many people also use it to keep frizzy fly-aways at bay. And of course, you can't create that perfect teased-up look without a bottle of high-quality hair spray in your corner.
- Leave In Treatment - between heat-styling, sun damage, and excessive washing, we aren't always as good to our hair as we should be. Sometimes this can leave locks stripped of essential oils and lead to dryness or breakage. Leave-in conditioners help combat this problem by giving your tresses an extra bit of moisture when you need it most. Many of these conditioners also contain vitamins and other nourishing elements which can rebuild damaged cuticles. Plus, they couldn't be simpler to use; just spray it on or rub it in to your hair, and leave it there. No rinsing or washing is required.
- Finishing Spray - sometimes confused with hair spray, finishing spray is a hair care product which is generally meant to add a glossy shine to dull looking hair which may be dried out from too much styling. Many different kinds of finishing spray also attempt to eliminate frizz and similar problems, especially in humid climates.
Good Ingredients = A Great Hair Care Product
Buying the right hair care product is important, but making sure that the products you buy have the right ingredients in them is also an essential part of obtaining that perfect style. One of the best ingredients you can hope to have in a hair care product these days - whether you are using a mousse, a gel, a finishing spray, hairspray, or a leave-in conditioner, is argan oil.
Argan oil, also sometimes referred to as Moroccan oil, comes from the argan forests of southern Morocco and is farmed by hand by the local female population. It is one of the most nourishing and hydrating oils discovered in recent history. In addition to adding beauty benefits to your skin and nails, argan oil is great for conditioning your hair and adding extra shine, and can even help with hair growth. It is a great addition to hair care product options like hairspray and gel, which can sometimes dry your hair out and leave it feeling "crispy". So if you're thinking about investing in any of the hair care product choices mentioned above, you might want to look for one that has argan oil incorporated into its formula.